Tabs

Friday, October 11, 2013

Hand-made in Leeds

 
















 

One of the reasons why I love living in Leeds is that it bursts with creativity and talent. Even better is that you never know where you might find it. I found myself in the art & secret garden cafe in Headingley to look for frames a few weeks ago, when I came across the most charming, hand-made bags. A variety of different colours, textures and patterns had caught my attention straight away. I found a name and a telephone number, hand-written on all of the tags. Even before I contacted Joanna, I knew she was talented, creative and would have enormous attention to detail.
Meeting Joanna, the inspiring artist behind the bags I had spotted in Headingley was a little bit like entering “Charly’s Chocolate Factory” of fabric and colours instead of sweets.  I had no idea that she not only makes bags, but pretty much anything that involves fabric in some way or another: vintage-style aprons, colourful buntings, bespoke cushions and even furniture.
Just like any creative mind, the work of Joanna knows no limits. Having a background in landscape architecture and fashion design she also paints landscape scenes like the beautiful coast at Robin Hood Bay and creates canvases that unite her talents by mixing paint with fabric.
            
Her paintings were exhibited at The National Trust, Old Coastguard's Station in Robin Hood's Bay this summer. Joanna told me: “I received very good feedback from the visitors of the exhibition, including a local artist that bought one of my paintings!” 
 

My favourite part of Joanna’s work is her furniture. She brings old and run-down pieces back to live by covering the wooden surface with a fascinating blanket of fabric. It was obvious that she is passionate about her work, especially the furniture. All of her work is available custom-made and I have to say, having one of those little side-tables that just doesn’t seem to fit in with the rest of my furniture; I would love to see how an artist like Joanna would transform it! 

You can find some of Joanna's work here:

1 comment:

  1. Nice post, I like products like these, they feel so homey and cosy! Will have to go check it out!

    Dash xx

    ReplyDelete